Sunday 18 January 2009

The Ten Commandments

Reading 18: Exodus 20

I keep coming back to the very first phrase of this chapter:

"And God spoke all these words"

It was important to the writer that we understand these are God's rules, from God's very mouth. These are not arbitrary laws, created to oppress a people just escaping from oppression. These are encouragements to pattern a lifestyle.

If I could take these commandments to heart in my own life, think of how much easier life could be? I heard a sermon once on the fact that the first 4 govern my relationship with God, and the last 6 govern my relationship with other people.

1. No other gods
2. No false images
3. No misusing God's name
(in other words, just 'cause you tack God's name on to it doesn't mean He endorses it.)
4. Keep the Sabbath
5. Honor mom and dad
6. No murdering
7. No adultery
8. No stealing
9. No lying
10. No coveting other people's stuff

No comments:

Post a Comment